In honour of August 24th - Marsha P Johnson's birthday - I would like to introduce the 2SLGBTQ+ Equity portion of my platform.
I was introduced to social activism through the 2SLGBTQ+ community. I am proud to be a Co-Chair of the Provincial Conversion Therapy Working Group and to be the Director of the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services (iSMSS) at the University of Alberta.
We have come a long way, but the many great gains made by the 2SLGBTQ+ community in recent decades have not been shared equally by all members. I intend to continue the work that I have been doing to advance equity for QTBIPOC community members.
As your city councillor I will:
- Lobby for pronouns to be used in public fora and included on all print materials in City Hall.
- Lobby for all city buildings and facilities to have all-gender bathrooms.
- Propose that the inclusion of all-gender bathrooms be required for the approval of permits for new commercial buildings.
- Ensure the enforcement of the municipal conversation therapy ban by sanctioning services - such as shelters - that discriminate based on sexual or gender diversity.
- Support the request that law enforcement personnel not wear uniforms at Pride events.
- Advocate for mandatory gender and sexual diversity training for all city employees and elected officials.
- Require that municipally funded social services undergo Safer Spaces training.
- Review funding practices and advocate for municipal funding to be shifted to prioritize affirming mental health and addiction services.
- Advocate for robust enforcement of the newly passed anti-harassment bylaw that focuses on race, sexuality, as well as religious and gender expression.